Ingredients For The Basic Congee
- 1 1/2 cups rice, washed
- 8 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves, skinned and crushed
- 1 inch ginger piece, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Ingredients For The Chicken Topping
- 300g chicken thigh fillets, diced into 1 cm pieces
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup spring onions, finely chopped
Preparation & Presentation
- Combine all the ingredients for the basic congee in a large and deep saucepan.
- Simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring very frequently. The more you stir, the creamier the congee will become as the rice grains break down down slowly.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan.
- Add the chicken and saute on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, vinegar and sesame seeds.
- Stir-fry on high heat for 6-8 minutes till chicken pieces are thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat. Ladle some congee into a bowl.
- Top with chicken pieces and sprinkle chives and spring onions. Ready to serve.