Serves 4 – 5
Preparation time: 30minutes
- 1.5 cup of rice grain, rinsed
- 1 large piece of chicken breast meat/fillet (about 200g)
- 10 mini-sized dried scallops (rinsed with water) / or 3 – 4 chunky thumb-sized dried scallops (soaked for 15 minutes till softened)
- 1 carrot, finely shredded
- ¼ teaspoon of mashed ginger (姜蓉)
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce (鱼露)
- Pinch of salt (about ¾ teaspoon) and generous amount of ground white pepper
- 1 large pot with 8 cups of water (about 2000ml)
1) Rinse rice grain 1 to 2 times. Boil rice grain with a pot of water over high heat.
2）When boiled, add in dried scallops, and whole piece of chicken breast meat/fillet to cook for 10 mins. When the chicken is almost done, remove from pot, and let it cool.
3) In the meantime, reduce heat to low fire. Stir the rice porridge constantly in order to achieve a smooth texture.
4) When the chicken has cooled, shred it into think slices. Return the shredded chicken slices into the pot. Add in fish sauce, and stir to combine. Simmer the porridge and chickenslices with constant stirring until the rice breaks down and becomes fairly viscous congee, about 20 – 30 minutes.
5) Add shredded carrots, mashed ginger, salt and pepper. Continue to simmer for another 10 minutes. Turn off the fire, immediately beat two eggs into the congee and stir vigorously to combine well. Cover pot with lid for 1 minutes before serving.
6) Laddle into bowl(s), and serve hot.
Congee can be garnished with scallion (spring onion) and fried shallots. Pair it with fried fritters (fried dough sticks 油条) for better taste. This liquid of congee will present fairly yellowish with a touch of orangy in colour due to the mixture of shredded carrot and egg yolks. I think it looks more alluring that way. Anyway, just to remind you that a bowl of shredded chicken congee with dried scallops and shredded carrot amounts to only about 250kcal. Pretty low in calorie so do go ahead and try out this very healthy and simple dish!
Let’s dig into this delectable chicken congee happily!
Tips: To cook the shredded chicken together in the congee, please remember to shred the chicken meat thinly. Otherwise, return the cooked chicken meat shreds only at last stage of boiling in order to retain the tenderness of chicken meat.