March 18, 2011
Mains - Noodles, Specialty
Serves 2 people
- 1 x 450g packet of thick fresh rice noodles (Kway Teow and Yellow Noodles)
- 1 tbsp of vegetable/peanut oil, to coat on noodles
- 3 red birdseye chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 small single chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 8 medium prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- 3 green shallots, ends trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 100g bean sprouts
1. Boil the noodles for 1 minute. Then drain the water and transfer the noodles into a bowl. Add a little vegetable/peanut oil to the noodles and gently toss it and ensure the noodles are coated with the oil to prevent the noodles from sticking together.
2. Place the chilli in a mortar and gently pound them with a pestle until finely crushed.
3. Heat the oil in a wok over high heat, add in the chilli and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds until they turn golden brown. Add the sliced chicken fillet in and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until just cooked. Add the prawns in and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until the prawns curl and change colour.
4. Add the noodles, shallot, dark soy sauce and sweet soy sauce and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until combined. Add the eggs to the noodles continue to stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until egg is just set. Add bean sprouts and combine.
5. Read to serve.
- Don’t overcook the noodles before stir-frying – they should be tender but still firm to the bite. Any softer and they’ll break and lose its chewiness.
Here is a video:
March 18, 2011
Mains - Rice, Specialty
Serves 2-4 people
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cold left over rice
- Chopped garlic
- Fish sauce/Light Soy Sauce
- White pepper
- Pinch of salt
Optional/Additional ingredients (Depending on individual preference and subject to availability):
- Spring onions
- Crab meat
- Heat some oil in the wok and fry the chopped garlic till fragrant.
- Add in the cooked rice and fry till rice becomes loose.
- Push the rice to one side of the wok, add in some oil, followed by the eggs. Scramble and fry the eggs briefly.
- Add in all the other ingredients
- When the ingredients are cooked, splash in fish sauce/light soy sauce, salt, pepper and some sprinkle some spring onions on top.
- Ready to serve.
Here is the tutorial in video:
March 18, 2011
Serves 3-4 people
Preparation Time : 15 mins
1) Chicken Wings
3) A teaspoon of salt
4) Light Soya Sauce
6) Spring Onions (optional)
7) Cooking Oil
1) Wash the chicken wings and marinate them with light soya sauce and salt for about 7-10 mins. You can also put slices of ginger to enhance the taste.
2) Heat the cooking oil, then shallow fry the chicken wings until golden.
3) Add in the coke just enough to cover the chicken wings.
4) Keep stirring to prevent the chicken wings from burning until not much coke are left inside. (about 7 mins)
5) Stop the fire and wait for the chicken wings to cool down.
6) Garnish with spring onions. Ready to serve.
Here is the tutorial: